Maya Tamang
"I rushed home after the shaking; my house was gone and my children were terrified."
“My name is Maya Tamang and I am thirty-two years. Before the
earthquake, I had never carried rocks, sand, or rods. I did not know a
thing building houses. But, now, I have learned to do all of those
things and take care three children on my own at the same time.
On the day of the earthquake, I was working on the ridge of the
mountain. I rushed home after the shaking; my house was gone and my
children were terrified. My husband never came home that day, and we
never found his body. He had gone into the forest to collect wood, and
that entire area is now buried in a landslide.
I stayed in my old
village for over a month before I moved to Dhola. I am doing outdoor
work for the first time in my life. I cook, gather wood, and water. It
is very difficult. But I am happy to be part of the collective effort to
build our homes. I hope that once we have a house my children and I
will be settled.
After we have a home, I will have time to knit
and make sweaters to sell so I can make a living. I hope my children
will do well in school and do much with their minds.”

Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen